Caramel is my enemy. I don’t know if it is because it scares me or because I don’t understand it. I think it is the latter. If I see a recipe that includes caramel, i know there will an extremely stressful moment in the cooking process, during which I will ask myself: Why am I dealing with this caramel?!
This is why recipes with caramel are a fun challenge for me, which I cannot not accept! 🙂
One of my favourite bakeries called Tea and eat offers this caramel walnut pie. It is my boyfriend’s favourite, but they don’t always have it. So we have to call in advance and ask if they have a slice every time we go. This is the reason I promised him to try and make it at home.
This is my try of recreating this pie and I think it was delicious!
Ingredients (24 cm. tart tin)
- 175 g. flour
- 85 g. butter
- 50 g. confectionery sugar
- 1 yolk
For the filling:
- 200 g. confectionery sugar
- 100 g. butter
- 200 ml. cream
- 200 g. of walnuts
How to make it:
- Mix the flower, butter and sugar in a blender until it forms crubms
- Add the yolk and 2 tbsp of cold water and mix again until a dough has formed.
- Wrap the dough in saran wrap and put in the fridge for 20 minutes
- Roll out between two pieces of saran wrap and move to the tart tin. Add kitchen weights and put in the fridge for another 5-10 minutes
- Warm the oven to 190 C and bake for 10 minutes with the weights and for another 5 without them
- While the crust is cooling we can prepare the filling
- Add the 200 g. sugar and 3 tbsp in a casserole on a medium heat stir this up until it starts to form bubbles and stop. Brush some water on the sides of the casserole to stop sugar crystals from forming
- Once the sugar becomes nice and golden brown add the butter and cream and still from time to till until it becomes thick
- The last step is to add the walnuts and stir well so they are all covered in caramel
- Add the filling to the crust and bake for another 8-10 minutes
It is delicious served with a scoop of ice cream! 🙂